About us

Our History

On September 15, 1950, Rev. Thomas H. Wade Sr., opened the doors of Rock of Ages Baptist Church in the Old Lycem Hall located at 1309 Madison Street in Maywood, with two members - his wife and his son. Even with its meager start the church was destined for greatness because it began with the right purpose and passion - to reach out to the least in society, reclaim the lost to Christ, and comfort the downtrodden in spirit. Rock of Ages experienced great growth under the leadership of Rev. Wade, and eventually moved into another church edifice at 1642 S. 15th Avenue in Maywood.

Shortly after Rev. Wade passed away, the Lord sent another visionary to carry on His vision for the Church. Rev. Marvin E. Wiley brought a new and youthful spark to Rock of Ages Baptist Church. As a result, the membership increased at a phenomenal rate. In 1995, a new multi-million dollar edifice was built at the original location of the Old Lycem recognized in the community as an organization that effectively ministers to the Spiritual, Emotional, financial, physical, and social needs of the community. Since Pastor Wiley’s installation, membership at Rock of Ages has grown from 400 to more than 4,000 and Vision of Restoration, Inc. (VOR) a 501(c)3 organization - was founded to restore the broken lives of residents in Maywood and surroudning communities. In October 2003, the ministry expanded to include a Saturday night worship in Bolingbrook, IL to meet the needs of members and residents in the western suburban areas of Chicago. Under Pastor Wiley’s leadership, the T.H. Wade Foundation Center, a four level, multi-million dollar facility opened Thanksgiving Day 2004. This new 40,000 sq. feet edifice offers many additional resources for training, education, and businesses.

Join our email list